Sunday, June 9, 2013

Paleo Week 1


So, it happened. I joined the Paleo craze. So far I am loving it! I printed out this poster and it now hangs proudly on my fridge. Basically, you eat like the cavemen did: protein (meat, fish, eggs), veggies, healthy fats (oil, seeds, nuts) and a little fruit. You DON'T consume: processed foods, beans, grains, alcohol, etc. 

In my first week, I really didn't crave or miss anything like I thought I would. Towards the end of the school year, I got on a big junk food kick: candy, treats & ice cream parties on the reg. at school, what was a girl to do! I would come home exhausted and reach for the first thing to fill my belly (usually something that came in a package & was totally unhealthy). 

Here is the rundown of my first week. I can't say I didn't cheat a little, but I am feeling healthier and more energized already:

Day 1: This was our closing day at school for teachers, so I was super-busy & had to eat on the run. A lot. 
Breakfast: small apple, egg & sausage off of a McDonald's breakfast sandwich
Lunch: Subway salad with turkey, lettuce, tomato, onion, green peppers & italian dressing (I've been letting dressings be my cheat...they can't be that bad, right?)
Dinner: Although I had planned to go to the grocery & had this huge list of Paleo-friendly items, it starting storming and pouring down rain on my way. Who wants to carry in groceries in the middle of a downpour? So I went to Qdoba instead & got their Naked salad with grilled chicken. Yummm!
Snacks: almonds & grapes


Day 2: 
Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, almonds (busy morning + no groceries)
Lunch: taco salad (made this a-mazing taco meat in the crockpot with ground beef, taco seasoning & Ro-tel) on top of lettuce with avacado, mexican corn & tomatoes (and ranch oops)
Dinner: Taco salad (it was so good I had to go back for seconds)
Snacks: raisins Monkey Salad, grapes

Day 3:
Breakfast: mini Larabar (who knew these were Paleo-friendly?), grapes
Lunch: chicken, lettuce, salsa, fruit (we had a going away party for someone at work and it was surprisingly easy to make good choices)
Dinner: Taco salad
Snacks: raisins

Day 4: 
Breakfast: Southwest eggbeaters & grapes
Lunch: Wendy's small berry almond chicken salad
Dinner: Taco meat, mexican corn & 1/2 avacado
Snacks: almonds, grapes, Lara bar

Day 5: 
Breakfast: southwest eggbeaters, banana sliced with honey drizzled on top
Lunch: Strawberries & almonds with honey on top, Lara Bar
Dinner: Lexingtonian salad at Drake's restaurant (lettuce, tomato, bacon, vinaigrette)
Snacks: raisins, almonds, chips & queso (BOO!)

Day 6: 
Breakfast: banana, Lara bar
Lunch: Salad, grilled chicken breast & green beans from restaurant
Dinner: Mermaids salad (greens, chicken, eggs, bacon, pecans, vinaigrette...whoa protein and delish!)
Snacks: raisins, glass of wine (whoops, social obligation)

Day 7:
Breakfast: Egg & sausage from breakfast sandwich at gas station
Lunch: chicken burger from Trader Joe's topped w/ avacado (these are awesome!) & salad (see picture below


Dinner: Turkey slices & roasted squash & zucchini with barnyard rub seasoning

Snacks: dark chocolate- covered raisins from Trader Joe's (cheater), grapes

No comments:

Post a Comment