Friday, April 5, 2013

Happy Spring!!! (finally)

One of the best great things about being a teacher is SPRING BREAK! This week, I've had a chance to spend time with family, do some wedding planning, and catch up with friends. Today, it finally felt like spring and I was able to get some much needed things done around the house. 


 First update: adorable rug from Target was a great addition outside the bathroom door. It ties in a lot of colors, so it's great in almost any space. Love it!
 Secondly, I'm really trying to get serious about getting in a little better shape for summer and for my wedding in the fall. I may have overindulged over the recent holiday (Easter bunny just keeps on giving). So, I started by going shopping for HEALTHY groceries. The plan is to eat as little packaged & processed food as possible. Details of meal plans will come in a later post. My healthy snacks for the week: broccoli salad & fruit salad- sprinkled w/ Splenda & drizzled w/ honey.


Broccoli Salad Recipe (adapted from my mom's to make it a little healthier)


  • 2 heads broccoli, cut up
  • 1/4 cup red onions, diced
  • 1/4 cup bacon bits 
  • 3/4 cup raisins
  • 3/4 cup sunflower seeds or slivered almonds
  • 1 cup light mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup Splenda
  • 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1. Combine broccoli, onions, bacon bits, raisins, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl
2. In another bowl, mix mayonnaise, Splenda and vinegar until blended evenly
3. Pour both into a container with a lid, mix, then cover and shake until coated evenly. This recipe is best after being refrigerated for a day or so. Yumm! This was such a hit at Easter I had to make my own.

You may recognize this confetti cake batter dip from all over Pinterest. I do not in any way claim it as my own (only wish I were that brilliant). Even though it is pretty low-cal and fat, I was afraid of what might happen if I made more than one serving ;) It was a success with both me and my little animal cracker friend:


  • 3 tablespoons confetti cake mix out of a box
  • 2 tablespoons Fage 0% Greek Yogurt plain
  • 1 tablespoon lite Cool Whip
Mix well and viola! I've tried it before with lite vanilla yogurt, but liked it much better with the Greek yogurt, it makes the dip thicker and not too sweet. 

Finally, my favorite thing about today: front porch makeover!!! The cushions are Vallerie Bertinelli from Marshalls (love that place) and the garden stool was purchased there as well (at a fraction of the price you can find them for online). I was very happy with my spontaneous trip to Marshalls!

Then, I painted an old terra cotta flower pot and covered the bottom with burlap. The flowers obviously haven't bloomed yet. I found a watering can at Wal-Mart for $5 and added the square of burlap, stamped with my initial, with a hot glue gun. This is something I had seen in a store for like $30. Can't wait for more warm weather to spend time in my new space :)

No comments:

Post a Comment