Saturday, May 25, 2013

DIY chair re-upholstery and chair- back pockets for the classroom

I recently got a sewing machine and FINALLY got around to some projects I've been dying to do today! 

My first project was a re-do for my dining room chairs. We've decided to wait on getting a new dining room set for our new house, so these babies needed a little fixing up. This adorbs chevron fabric came from Hobby Lobby (20% off sale this weekend!)



What you need:
  • 1 1/2 yards of duck or home decor fabric (I covered 4 chairs). Measure the area to be covered & add 5 inches to the length & to the width to see how much you will need.
  • pliers
  • staple gun
  • staples

First, I ripped off the old fabric with pliers. 




Then, I placed the cut-out fabric face down and placed the seat face-down on top of it.


Using a staple gun, I stretched the fabric around and stapled away. So simple!



Another thing that I've been wanting to do is make chair-back pockets for my students next year. The ones from teacher stores are so expensive, and not as cute. Plus, I just wanted an excuse to try out my new sewing machine. This project turned out to be so quick and simple! 


I also picked up some gray chevron fabric (regular cotton this time) at Hobby Lobby and just got a yard to see if I could make two out of it. All of the tutorials I've seen online call for so much fabric! After measuring the back of a chair and cutting the fabric, I decided I would have to use a different fabric for the front pocket if I wanted to fit two pockets from 1 yard of fabric. Lucky me, I had some leftovers from the chair seat project!!!



First, I folded the fabric in half (I wanted it doubled) and cut the width about 18 inches for each pocket. Then, I ironed the fabric and sewed up all the sides to make them back-to-back. One side was folded, so I didn't have to sew that side. 


Then, I folded back about 3 inches from the top and sewed the sides so that it would hang on a chair. 
Next, I cut out a rectangle of the other fabric and pinned it onto the bottom front of my creation. Finally, I sewed the 2 sides and bottom to create a pocket. 


 Love it!!! 



I am so pumped for my firsties to use these for their books next year!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment