Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Musings on Lent





With Ash Wednesday quickly approaching, I have found myself in many conversations lately along the lines of "What are you giving up for Lent?" or "See ya in 40 days, chocolate". Although I've participated in such activities for years, I've found the Lenten season pulling on my heart a little differently this year. 

A few years ago, I decided to give up sweets for Lent. I boldly proclaimed my chosen sacrifice for all who would listen....but then the Girl Scout cookies came in : / I mean....they only come around once a year, right?

Fast forward a couple of years and I'm all excited to give up caffeine for Lent. A couple of days later, as I'm falling asleep at the wheel on the way to work, the Golden Arches and $1 any size soft drink sign reel me in.

And then there was last year, the year of the chocolate fast. But wait...do granola bars with chocolate chips count? What about chocolate flavored frozen yogurt? The lines were blurred until I had narrowed it down to a specific chocolate bar. Because that had such an impact in bringing me closer to God. 

To put it lightly...my past attempts at giving something up for Lent have been less than successful. But when I think back on them, I was giving these things up for all the wrong reasons. These "sacrifices" were spiritually empty and more about my body image or losing weight than giving something up to honor The One who gave everything up for me. I mean, isn't that what it's all about? It seems like a lot of us are just going through the motions with little thought to the real reason for the season. 

Matthew 6:16-18 says: “And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

This year, I want my sacrifice to bring me closer to God, to free up space in my heart to grow spiritually and to put others first.

Here is one I found inspiring on Pinterest:




And on a lighter note...






and







 What are your thoughts on Lent? Are you giving something up this year?

1 comment:

  1. In case you were wondering, my Life Group & I decided to give up Facebook. There are some great things that come out of it, but also a lot of time wasted that could be spent on something more meaningful. I never realized how many times a day I open the app out of boredom or habit. We can do it…see ya in 40 days, FB!

    ReplyDelete