Sunday, March 9, 2014

Zinc Letters & Moss Easter Egg Crafting

This weekend, I had the chance to go visit my parents for a fun & relaxing weekend. I always liked playing with paper dolls when I was little so my dad picked up these vintage ones to give me when I came home. How cute are these little outfits from the 1960s?




Saturday morning my mom & I went to Hobby Lobby for some craft supplies and ran across these beauties on sale. Even though our bar stools are pretty much brand new, I'm thinking they would be so cute (with a new rug under them).





 So anyway, here is what we ended up making. Project #1: faux zinc letters like these from Anthropologie. I wanted mine to be a lot bigger so that they would go above my cabinets in the kitchen.

You need:

  • large wooden letters
  • sponge paintbrush
  • black acrylic paint
  • pearl metallic paint





First, we painted the letters with a coat of black acrylic paint and let it dry. Then, we painted a coat of the pearl metallic paint over the black. It took a couple of coats to get the effect I wanted, because it was a little streaky at first.


 Here's the finished product (above my mom's retro kitchen stove & then my kitchen cabinets):



My husband wanted to know why I put the word FAT in our kitchen haha


Project #2: moss Easter eggs to go with my Spring mantle:

Supplies: 
  • plastic easter eggs
  • hot glue gun
  • moss (we used the kind in sheets)



This was a super simple project, but it did end up being really messy! First, we would cut a square of the moss sheet big enough to cover an egg. We covered the bottom half of the egg first and wrapped the moss around it, then stretched it over the rest of the egg & hot-glued as we went. Our method required a lot of cutting and fitting pieces in, so it might be easier to use the loose moss instead.


And here they are: sitting pretty in their little basket, waiting for more Springy decorations to join them. 

These girl scout cookies & milk have been teasing me all weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment